ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/types E numeratedAttribute.java
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 08:29:37 GMT

[...]
> I am just saying that code that we commit in the
> future consider the evolution aspect of it. Just my $0.02.

I'm just saying that even if I fully agree with this, this sudden
'guideline' is all of a 'sudden' and has never been part of the Ant
guidelines which do not exist at all AFAIK. So I'm just wondering why this
is suddenly emerging when there has been lengthy talk about how dead was the
Ant 1.x code.

I'm totally 150% OK for this but I'd would also like us to focus on having
the code cleaned up to be homogeneous and respect the Jakarta coding lines
especially considering braces, indentation and naming. There has been
lengthy debate about this on general and commons about how anarchic was
starting to be the code in Jakarta and even though in Ant a lot of code has
been done by non-committers this does not prevent us from having severe
guidelines and respect them.

I think Stefan wanted to have severe guidelines about task submission and
has been -1, so this is somewhat contradictory. Starting with severe
guidelines at the beginning and maybe relax with time is exactly the same as
put everything in private and everything final and relax when possible. No ?

If we do this then we have to be more responsive about user willing to
integrate Ant.
For instance I think we did not take much in account the critics from Jeff
McGuire about integrating Ant w/ Eclipse.

For the sake of clarity and so that it is crystal-clear I will commit a
document about these coding guidelines ASAP as a starting point. Comments ?

Stephane