ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Available Task and Classpath
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:13:14 GMT
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Carsten Ziegeler <cziegeler@s-und-n.de> wrote:

> The main problem still exists, that you would need the same
> environment to run the build application as the environment for
> building it.

There always seems to be a problem domain where this is true.  If you
write a JDBC driver you'll need to build on JDK 1.1 to support JDBC
1.0 and 1.4 to support JDBC 3.0 (you have the choice of 1.2 or 1.3
when you want to support JDBC 2.1).

I'm not sure what Ant's distribution will look like when JDK 1.4 gets
its final release.  We'll probably have to tell people how to replace
their buggy XML parser with the newer Crimson we provide.

> I think, this is a common problem. Aren't there others having this
> problem? How did you solve it?

I am involved in the development of a JDBC driver (only JDBC 1.0 and
2.1) and the only solution we've found is to compile in two passes,
one using JDK 1.1 and one using 1.3 - and fall back to reflection to
pick up the "correct" classes at runtime.  But we still need to build
with a JDK 1.1 to support a JDK 1.1 at the users side.

Stefan