ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: CVS Problem [was RE: Ant contributor]
Date Tue, 25 Dec 2001 05:04:28 GMT
This is probably an exact description of what happened.  What I failed
to understand was step 3, being a newcomer to CVS.  I had wondered what
all those extra files were - I never looked into them.  They contain all
the synchronization information.  What I am used to is systems like
StarTeam which, if they find a file in the local directory with the same
name as that in the repository, figure it is the same file at possibly
different stages of developement and try to synch them up, by evaluating
the differences, as "Out of Date", "Current" or "Modified", etc.  Star
Team would never say that a local file was unrelated to a file in the
repository with the same name.  I'm not saying that's the right way; in
fact the CVS approach seems to have some real power to it.  But I wasn't
used to it.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for educating me.