ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Cohen" <Ste...@ignitesports.com>
Subject RE: SCM task
Date Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:41:57 GMT
I think you need to be very careful here.  Every system has differences
from the others.  And what is called one thing in one system means
something different in another.  For example "Checkout" in Visual Source
Safe means "Checkout and Lock" in StarTeam.  What StarTeam calls
"Checkout" is called "Get" in VSS.  I know Clearcase has still different
semantics.  And I'm sure the same could be said for all of the others.
Switching from one system to another can be a real headache: words whose
meanings you thought were clear based on your experience with one system
may mean something different to a user of a different system.

So to implement your idea I think we need to go in a different fashion.
We must define the operations we want Ant to support with their meanings
clearly explained.  Then we should build a table indicating how each
system implements these operations in a native command-line mode.
Finally we should compare the existing ant tasks against these to
determine how closely these conform to the new design of operations.  It
would be especially important to note where a system does NOT support a
desired functionality.

Up to now each implementation has been built by someone who knew that
system and not necessarily any others.  We need more up-front design to
try to do what you want.

Notwithstanding all of these cautions, I think your idea is a good one,
if done right.

Steve Cohen
Sr. Software Engineer
Ignite Sports, Inc.