ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Ant2] scoping of properties
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:01:11 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>

> > > Again - treating targets as methods is not and nor will ever be -
> > > recomended or supported behaviour.
> >
> > From the buildfile for ANT:
> >
> >   <target name="main"
> >           description="--> creates a minimum distribution in ./dist">
> >     <antcall inheritAll="false" target="dist-lite"/>
> >   </target>
>
> And tell me - how many times have the committers stated that they hate this?
> or that this is an ugly hack ?

I have not heard anyone. In particular given the fact that the above line
could have been rewritten as:

    <target name="main" depends="dist-lite"
               description="--> creates a minimum distribution in ./dist" />

8-)

> > The truth of the matter is that <ant> and <antcall> are method calls
> > or (procedure calls, strictly speaking).
> > They pass arguments (by value), they create a new environment in
> > the stack, they execute "code", and the environment is released at
> > the end. And more to the point, people use it that way.
> >
> > I do not see how you plan to unsupport its ussage.
>
> yes ... and you do it by choice.

The point of the matter is that eventhough the above situation may be rewritten
to avoid an <antcall> there are plenty of sitiations where <antcall> is completely
valid. And where <antcall> is the more efficient and clear way to express what
is required on a build.

Jose Alberto