ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Shamberger, Michael" <Michael.Shamber...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: [ANN] Ant 1.4 Beta 1
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2001 00:58:04 GMT
Conor,

Thanks for the info.  Using ANT_OPTS works fine.  Also it looks like the jit
error is a known jdk1.2 bug (4380655) that sun has decided not to fix.  If
you set  JAVA.COMPILER=NONE then you will not see this error.

Mike

MORGAN STANLEY DEAN WITTER|ONLINE
Michael Shamberger
Release Engineer
[415-344-9338 -W]
[415-290-0428 -C ]

-----Original Message-----
From: Conor MacNeill [mailto:conor@cortexebusiness.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 4:30 PM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: RE: [ANN] Ant 1.4 Beta 1

Michael,

> From: Shamberger, Michael [mailto:Michael.Shamberger@morganstanley.com]
>
> Hi,
>
> The project that I am working on has about 3000 java files and 80 ejbs.  I
> was previously using ant1.3 without issues on our code base.  Here are the
> issues that I ran into with the 1.4 beta.  I saw 4 differences in
> the ant1.3
> Vs. ant1.4beta
>
> 1 ant.bat - New script gave error:
> '"C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw\tools\jdk1.2.2_08\bin\java -Xmx256m"' is
> not recognized as an internal or external command,
> When I rolled back to the ant 1.3 script it worked fine.  It
> looks like the
> script is having trouble with command line options to the
> JAVA_CMD variable:
> set JAVACMD=%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java -Xmx256m gives error
> set JAVACMD=%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java works

The new script is required to be that way to handle situations where java is
installed in a directory with spaces. So, it MUST be quoted. That means the
JAVACMD variable cannot hold the java command options. These must be managed
separately. You can use ANT_OPTS variable for this

set JAVACMD as you have described above or just unset it altogether
set ANT_OPTS=-Xmx256m

> 2 Error when ant initialized in jdk1.2.2_08  (This is with the
> 1.3 ant.bat)
> Buildfile: build.xml
> Setting project property: user.dir -> C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw
> Setting project property: file.separator -> \
> Setting project property: sun.boot.class.path ->
> C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw
> \tools\jdk1.2.2_08\lib\rt.jar;C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw\tool
> s\jdk1.2.2
> _08\
> lib\i18n.jar;C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw\tools\jdk1.2.2_08\classes
> Setting ro project property: ant.version -> Ant version 1.4Beta1
> compiled on
> Aug
> ust 9 2001
> Setting ro project property: ant.file ->
> C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw\build.x
> ml
> parsing buildfile C:\clearcase\ms_re_int\coreMsdw\build.xml with URI =
> file:C:/c
> learcase/ms_re_int/coreMsdw/build.xml
> A nonfatal internal JIT (3.10.107(x)) error 'Relocation error: NULL
> relocation t
> arget' has occurred in :
>   'org/apache/crimson/parser/Parser2.maybeComment (Z)Z': Interpreting
> method.
>   Please report this error in detail to
> http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cg

I've seen that and it seems to be due to Crimson. Perhaps we can follow up
with the team responsible for Crimson. As its nonfatal, I guess it is more
annoying than harmful.

> 3 Issue with Ejb-jar:
> I am getting the following error that I did not get previously in
> about 1/8
> of my beans.  Ejb-jar is trying to pull in some classes that don't need to
> be in the bean.  They do not  in the directory that ejb-jar is looking for
> it.

I'd like to now more about the ejb setup you have for this instance. You can
email me directly to discuss that if necessary.

> 4 Number of files being put into ejb jar has changed.  Ejb-jar is putting
> more files into some of the beans that it was previously.  This
> may be why I
> am getting the above failure

I'd like to know the differences there and then you and I can track down the
cause.

Thanks
Conor