ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Edwards, Jayme" <JCEdwa...@software.rockwell.com>
Subject Batched execution of ant task relative to a directory
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2001 18:17:05 GMT
Folks,

I have a rather large project being entirely built with Ant in which several other development
teams contribute by adding their own build subprojects. The directory structure is set up
sort of like this:

\root
\root\build.xml (main ant script)
\root\services\
\root\services\<someservicefolder>\build.xml (subproject ant script)

Right now when someone wants to add a new service they have to add a new target in the main
ant script to call ant on their subproject. We've had some problems where people editing the
main script screw things up and I want to get away from the subteams editing the master script.

What I'm wondering is if there is a way to set up a target that basically says "for each subfolder
directly off of the "services" folder, if you find a build.xml file inside of it execute ant
on it". This would allow me to restrict CVS access to the services folder for subteams and
keep the main ant script much cleaner.

If there isn't a way to do this today might it be feasible to write a task that simple takes
a directory and calls the Ant task directly (with the new task executing the logic to enumerate
subfolders of the directory attribute and finding build.xml files)? If so I would be happy
to contribute this back to the Ant project if a new task is the only way of doing it.

Any input appreciated,

Jayme Edwards
Rockwell Software