ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jon Skeet" <jon.sk...@peramon.com>
Subject RE: Automatically importing a directory of .jar files.
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:08:11 GMT
> Without jar versioning, extdirs are a fairly broken idea.  If
> you can get away with always have the same versions of the
> same jars in your VM, it's a great idea.  I found that the
> concept might work in a deployment environment - *if* you
> deploy a separate VM for each application - but for a
> developer, it just isn't practical.

I use it all the time - occasionally I need to make changes to what's
where, but very rarely. I'm sure it entirely depends on what you're
developing, but as I say, I rarely find it a problem. (When it *is* a
problem, it can be a nasty one to work out, admittedly.)

> I would love to see Sun take this idea a bit further and
> actually add versioning to jars.

You mean like they already have?
See http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html

I should point out I've never seen this actually *used*, but I haven't
looked, either. I wonder how much notice WebStart takes of it...

Jon