ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introduction of Multithreading
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:35:05 GMT
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 00:13, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> >> Using <sequential> within a <parallel> block is simple and
> >> effective. Using antcall to achieve the same thing would be
> >> heavyweight and unnecessarily complex.
> >
> > Breaking a target into three targets (with if attributes) instead of
> > having a single if task is unnecessarily complex - but we still do
> > it ;)
>
> You cannot completely compare them, as breaking a conditional task
> into three targets may be unnecessarily complex, but it is not
> heavyweight - oppose that with current antcall.
>
> As long as antcall is not the lightweight operation we expect it to
> become in Ant2, there is room for <sequential> IMHO.
>
> > I just think we should stick to existing patterns instead of
> > introducing more variability.
>
> Agreed, but ... see above.

I guess. And I have come to the conclusion that I HATE antcall now so ... ;)

> > From the design of listener interface I expect event logs to behave
> > like they do in SAX. ie a tasks output occurs between start and end
> > task events. And I have written loggers accordingly. If you use the
> > information internal to each BuildEvent however it should be
> > fine.
>
> OK, so it is a documentation issue, as well as a question of adapting
> the listeners that ship with Ant, right?

> > Ouch - theres the rub - Also a great place to have a child
> > logger/category ;)
>
> A great place to have hierarchical TaskContexts 8-)

That too ... IIRC I added that to myrmidon a bit ago. But that is othogonal
to loggin hierarchy. I see ant2 as having subloggers for stdout and
stderr. So if a task wanted to massage its output (like junit task or
whatever) it could just register a listener at correct location in logger
hierarchy. Like that ? I do ;)

Cheers,

Pete