ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Nico Seessle" <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: build.exe
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2001 18:44:15 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Loughran" <steve_l@iseran.com>
To: <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <southgate.software@home.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2001 6:58 PM
Subject: Re: build.exe

> > Some problems remain:
> > - Doesn't work with JDK 1.1 (Don't know how to start a VM?)
>
> MS JVM is fairly easy to start from an exe; its just a COM object or
> something. The source to do it comes with the MS j++ SDK. But I'm not sure
> we should encourage use of java1.1 or corrupted variants, at least not if
it
> involves extra effort on our part.

I just mentioned it because Ant 1.x is generally supported under JDK 1.1.
Not really under MS VM, but personally I use the MS VM (and Visual J++) at
work.

> > - You can't pass any arguments to the VM (to specify memory sizes).
>
> Interesting -I wonder how java.exe does it?

I didn't want to say it's impossible - just wanted to say that it's not
possible with the current implementation of "ant.exe"...

> I've looked at the source; no pointer problems spring to mind, though I'd
> use more of std::sting than legacy sprintf stuff.

I have only changed small parts of it - the original source was written by
Michael Jennings and posted to the list...

> If I were using/editing this app, here are the changes I'd make. Note I'm
> not promising to make the changes, I just know what to do if I had the
time
> :-)

Thanks for you input - Iwill see if I can (will) dive so deep into C++...

Nico