ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject The name of the license is...(was: Re: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing)
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:20:57 GMT
on 6/15/01 8:14 AM, "Christoph Wilhelms" <Christoph.Wilhelms@impress.com>
wrote:

>> Forgive the ignorance, but why is this going to upset people? Are you
>> saying that there is no Apache license?
>
> The correct - and I think only valid Apache acronym is:
> ASF - Apache Software Foundation
>
> And the licence is called:
> Apache Software License
>
> Perhaps nobody would have a problem calling it:
> ASF License
>
> Thoughts? I hope this is in the sense of Brian ;-)!
>
> Greetinx,
> Chris

And the "correct" answer is:

DinG!

"ASF License"

Which is short for:

"Apache Software Foundation License"

The ASF is the name of the legal entity that oversees the software. This is
the legal non-profit foundation that is incorporated in Delaware.

"Apache License" and "Apache Software License" are NOT valid names as they
have no legal meaning associated to them.

thanks,

-jon