ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:03:50 GMT

Peter Donald wrote:
> I am curious who would get upset at shortening this to
> ASL and why?

We are all viewing this with our engineer's hat on.
To a lawyer, "Apache Software License" is the one and
only accepted legal term. "ASL" is not the legal mark.

Texas Instruments is incorporated, but as I learned once
when I used "Texas Instruments, Incorported" in a document,
the legal mark is "Texas Instruments" - All documents, logos,
etc, etc, say that and only that. (Or at least, when I was
there...)

Kleenex Brand Facial Tissues are just that, not KBFTs
just because we want to call them that...

No one ever said legal issues had to be scientifically logical.
You have to switch to a different set of rules. In their
universe, an abbreviation for a name is NOT the same as the
name, and does not convey the corresponding legal signifigance.