ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems with licenses (GPL, LGPL) and task writing
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:57:16 GMT
On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:31, Russell Gold wrote:
> At 7:15 PM +1000 6/15/01, Peter Donald wrote:
> >In any case only code that is ASL and copyright Apache can be placed in
> >Apache CVS (with a few exceptions that are not relevent here).
>
> This applies only to source code, I assume? That is, jars which contain
> code with different licenses (just as jaxp.jar) are permitted? If so,
> couldn't this optional task be included in that fashion?

Not with GPL as we would be forced to violate GPL. With LGPL - maybe. It
really depends on how thouroghly integrated the task is with the LGPL work.
There are at least a few projects that include LGPLed works in CVS as jars
(turbine/velocity/james) however it depends on the particular case.

I used to think LGPL was fine but from speaking to people who know better the
best answer is "it depends" - mainly on which lawyer you get to interpret the
LGPL and how it is used.