ant-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Barclay <Daniel.Barc...@digitalfocus.com>
Subject Re: [DISC] details of task library concept
Date Tue, 22 May 2001 15:09:54 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> My preference here is to use an XML file and the syntax one would use
> in a build file as well, i.e. use <taskdef> to define a task,
> <typedef> to define a data type and so on.  This file should reside in
> META-INF and I propose META-INF/antlib.xml.  The main reason is
> consistency.

Can java.lang.ClassLoader.getResources(...) access things in the META-INF
directory?  (How special is that directory?)

> * Will each task library be assigned to an XML-Namespace to avoid
> task-name clashes?
>
> IMHO, yes.  Maybe we should use the name of the jar file (without
> extension) as the namespace prefix.

No, don't use the Jar file name.  If you do, you can't ever put version
numbers in Jar file names.  (Renaming a Jar file that contains some tasks
shouldn't change the names of the tasks, at least given that we're putting
in a task-definition file.)

Where is the name of a task library referenced?  Is it just in the names
of its tasks (and references to them), or somewhere else too?

> * The extension of the library file itself.
>
> ".tsk" has been proposed, but this might put too much focus on tasks.
> How about ".ant"?

-$0.02  (No, I don't have a real vote.)

I think ".ant" is too general.  I was already thinking that build files
maybe should have been "build.ant".

(The question is whether they should be ".xml" to reflect their format,
or ".ant" for their application.  It's like EJB Jar files named ".jar"
reflecting their format, but web application files named ".war" reflecting
their higher-level meaning or use.)

If you want to avoid focusing on tasks, how about an extension meaning
"Ant library" (.antlib, .alb, etc.)?  (Are suffixes limited to three
characters on any OS expected to be supported by Ant?)

What were the feeling regarding staying with ".jar" vs. using another
extension?  (I missed that discussion.)

Daniel
--
Daniel Barclay