ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Vote] Avalon-Framework integration
Date Mon, 21 May 2001 05:43:42 GMT
At 06:04 PM 5/20/01 +0200, Paulo Gaspar wrote:
>I come to late to this thread, but as a recent user of
>parts of Avalon, this is my experience:
>
> - At the first sight, Avalon sure looks to be abusing
>   some abstractions a bit - specially the roles thing.
>   In this case, Conor MacNeill remarks seem to make some
>   sense (one needs to absorb the "Avalon culture" to use
>   some of those things);

I would be interested in where you see problems of this in the framework
part of Avalon (I know they exist in Phoenix and to a lesser degree
cornerstone).

> - Another problem with Avalon, are package names like
>   "excalibur" or "phoenix" that are (to say the least)
>   a bit less helpful than I would like them;

It is the apache way ;)

> - Many parts of Avalon are so highly reusable outside of
>   the framework context, that it would even make a lot
>   sense to move them to the Commons including, at least:

Alternatively commons should never have been created and that group should
have worked with an existing project ;)

> - As for the documentation, it was quite easy to me to
>   understand what I use trough the Javadocs, only taking
>   a look to the source code in order to understand the
>   the code's quality (which is quite good/clear for me).

Unfortunately the javadocs assume that you understand the high-level
concepts and DPs (ie IOC/SOC/etc) which can be intimidating at first.
Luckily there is a tutorial and a papaer being prepared for ApacheCon, and
also I believe an article for JavaWorld in the works so hopefully there
will be more useful docs in that area real soon now ;)

Cheers,

Pete