ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] ProjectBuilder abstraction
Date Sun, 13 May 2001 09:59:53 GMT
At 07:34  13/5/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>OK,
>
>-1.
>
>I don't see the need to abstract this into an interface.

How do you propose to do xslt/css/velocity/other sources to build projects?
DO you think that we should allow people to do this sort of thing? If not
why not? If so - how do you propose we do it in a clean manner?

> The proposal in
>myrmidon has a Project builder interface with one method
>
>build(File)
>
>I'm not sure builds will be coming from a File. They may be from a URL, a
>GUIProjectModel, JackSprattProjectRepository, who knows? Why not just say
>the execution engine operates on a Project instance and how that project
>instance is created is outside the scope of the execution engine. It is the
>responsibility of the front-end.

right - which is exactly what I am proposing - or at least thats what I
though ??? I am not proposing we use the interface in myrmidon but that we
do use the concept. (I think we could build in same way that JNDI
InitialContextFactorys work).

>I would see the different front-ends creating whatever sort of object is
>appropriate, which can deliver it a Project object. A GUI will most likely
>have some form of ProjectModel from which it can extract a Project object
>to pass to the execution engine.
>
>What is the benefit of abstracting this?

That way we could have one interface that delegate to N different builders.
The model you propose of having N different front-ends can be painful for
usability - especially when they start becoming inconsistent. I would much
rather have 1 front end per interface style (ie GUI/CLI/Servlet) than
trying to maintain N different ones. Having the above abstraction allows us
to build one frontend for each interface that delegates to appropriate
builder - less work for us, more consistent for users - and I can't see the
negatives. Where do you see the negative aspects?

Cheers,

Pete