ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] documentation system
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:40:52 GMT
Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:

> on 3/27/01 4:51 AM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> At 02:13  27/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>>> Does anakia support multiple output files?
>>
>> both anakia and stylebook support multiple output files in the
>> "core"
>
> Yes, but not from a single input file. Both Anakia and Stylebook
> take the approach of 1 input -> 1 output. Not, 1 input -> N output.
>
> For example, (I suspect) that Stefan wants to have a single XML file
> that defines all of the Ant tag documentation

I'm not sure where we'll end up - and I wanted to check how the choice
of Anakia versus some XSLT system would impact the organization of our
documentation.

So far we seem to settle on a system where each task will come with
its documentation in a file of its own.  Everybody has voted +1 on
"allow documentation to be stored in .tsk jars" - so documentation
will be scattered, but as a task library may contain multiple tasks,
there still could be a single document describing more than one task.
We simply could prohibit that, done.

Oh, but this shows another problem, multiple input -> single output
for things like table of contents or a printable version.  In XSLT
there is the much hated document() function - and I'm sure Anakia
could be extended to support an N -> 1 mapping as well (if it doesn't
right now 8-).

> In order to do that with Anakia, it is possible, but not with the
> "core" version. I am more than willing to stay up late one night and
> work with someone to add this functionality.

OK, let's wait to see which itch we really need to scratch and I'd
volunteer to be the one who works with you on making Anakia support
whatever feature Ant will need. OK?

Thanks for your input and support

        Stefan