ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is a 'declarative' language [ was Re: [VOTE] vote on ge neral direction ...]
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 07:00:54 GMT
Tim Vernum <Tim.Vernum@macquarie.com.au> wrote:

> In the end though, I don't think anyone really care what
> "declarative" means.

Well, as long as "purely declarative" is a request, I'd really prefer
to know what I'm voting on 8-)

> I wouldn't expect that too many people actually care whether
> ant meets some special criteria for "declarative languages", what
> they believe is that having a declarative style, rather than a
> prodedural style, is going to bring benefits to the project.

Yes.

>  * Dependencies between tasks are relational.

Sure

>    [...] but I do think that adding more expressiveness in those
>    relationships could be useful in ant.

Expressiveness in what way? Optional dependencies like Jose Alberto
mentioned (something I've never thought of myself)? Dependencies of
defined order?

>  * Set/list based operations.
>    I think that the "foreach" requests are really about set
>     operations. Perform this operation for all members of
>     this set.

Probably yes - people are requesting this functionality and not so
much an implementation along the lines of a C-Shell foreach
loop. Sometimes people even use different names for the same thing, I
remember <map> (looks as if it has been borrowed from lisp - not
suspect of being procedural) and others.

Stefan