ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:18:54 GMT
Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The list should remove itself from the bussiness of judging and
> debating whether a task is worth having or not. There should be a
> repository where anyone and everyone can submit their "work of art"
> tasks.

This is already in the wish list - and one of my biggest wishes. I
think, we all generally agree that a separate module for contributions
is needed, but we will need rules for this (every committer would have
commit access to all tasks in this module - but when/how may he/she
use it, what are the rules for releasing a version of a task ...).

> The only debate on the list should be whether a contribution is good
> enough and powerful enough as to make it into the official core jars

Not sure, whether the notion of "good enough" is a good measure for
core jars - sounds a little bit (how do you say in the US?,
"politically challenging") discriminating. Something like "will this
be useful for the average build environment or is it a special case
tool" - which is vague enough - seems more appropriate.

> or about changes to the core architecture.

Agreed - but I think ant-dev should serve as the discussion list for
the ant-contrib module as well. I wouldn't want to have a separate
user list for the contrib stuff either (well, we probably wouldn't
need a user list for the core anyway).

Stefan