ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Datatypes
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:33:58 GMT

> At 10:42  27/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>>  * Allow mappers to be genericised so that particular features can
>>>  * be modified during mapping.
>>
>>I don't see this as the purpose of a mapper. These attributes (like
>>Unix file permissions) are decorations of the plain filesets,
>>nothing that has any connection to the mapper concept at all.
>
> Isn't the concept of a mapper to map one file (or fileset) to
> another?

Hmm, not the original concept, no. The original was to do file name
translations - which doesn't mean we couldn't extend it.

I'm not convinced that adding attributes like file owner to a set of
file is the same as mapping one fileset to another.

>>> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) converters.
>>>
>>>   Currently we have fixed set that is expanded on occasion (ie
>>>   includes primitive types + File). Instead of spreading
>>>   converting code through out tasks it can be centralized into one
>>>   component and used by engine.
>>
>>But it isn't spread, it is centralized in IntrospectionHelper - but
>>not pluggable. Do we need that much flexibility? People could simply
>>implement a String argument constructor for their custom attribute
>>types.
>
> String arguement constructors is one way of doing it. However it
> doesn't allow certain things like resolution based on context (ie
> getting File relative to basedir).

Which IntrospectionHelper does already, but I see your point.

> Adding it in doesn't loose anything (IMHO actually makes code
> easier/simpler) so I can't see a reason to exclude the
> possibility.

I take that as refactoring IntrospectionHelper to replace the rather
lengthy if/else if ... block in createAttributeSetter with
polymorphism - and make that user-extendable, right?

I'm not all opposed to that, I still question whether one needs that
much flexibility, but I agree the cost wouldn't be that big.

Stefan