ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Datatypes
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:11:57 GMT
David Rees <d.rees.l@usa.net> wrote:

> Actually, mappers should be used for path modification.  I make the
> distinction because they should be applicable to a variety of
> sources (file system, ftp, http, zip, etc.).

Well, they already do - the map from String to String[].

> On 27 Mar 2001 10:42:06 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>>> * Make all datatypes interfaces to allow them to be customized in
>>> * many ways.
>>
>>Where appropriate, but not all of them.
>
> Which ones do you not like?

The wrong question IMHO. Which datatypes would benefit from being
interfaces? I see no real reason in the case of <path> for example,
while I might see it in the <fileset> case.

>>> * Homogenize notion of PATHs and filesets.
>>
>>Doesn't always make sense, we need the specific use cases where
>>paths and filesets are interchangeable.
>>
> When are they not?

When order is important - like Conor and Glenn have already said. A
path is ordered, a fileset is not.

Stefan