ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Datatypes
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:42:06 GMT
Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

>  * Allow mappers to be genericised so that particular features can
>  * be modified during mapping.

I don't see this as the purpose of a mapper. These attributes (like
Unix file permissions) are decorations of the plain filesets, nothing
that has any connection to the mapper concept at all.

If this is only a means to get the decoration connected with the
fileset, I'd prefer a different syntax.

>  * Allow include/exclude tow work with multiple characteristerics of
>  * a file.

Generally +1, need to look into David's Culler proposal. But we need
to provide a simplified syntax for the common case of file name
matching.

> * provide datatypes through property tag and remove need for
> * separate free standing entities.

+0

> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) low-level
>  components (mappers/itemset-filters/converters). Allow them to be
>  loaded in either global or a new classloader.

Isn't that <typedef>?

> * provide support for non-hardwired (ie loadable) converters.
>
>   Currently we have fixed set that is expanded on occasion (ie
>   includes primitive types + File). Instead of spreading converting
>   code through out tasks it can be centralized into one component
>   and used by engine.

But it isn't spread, it is centralized in IntrospectionHelper - but
not pluggable. Do we need that much flexibility? People could simply
implement a String argument constructor for their custom attribute
types.

> * Make all datatypes interfaces to allow them to be customized in
> * many ways.

Where appropriate, but not all of them.

> * Set arithmetic for fileset/patternset/*set

+1

> * inheritance of ant properties/datatypes/context etc in project
> * hierarchy

comes for free with the unified namespace.

> * inheritance of between ant datatypes. ie fileset A inherits from
> * fileset B (includes all entries in A).

If "(includes all entries in A)" is the description for inheritance
here, this is covered by set arithmetic.

> * Homogenize notion of PATHs and filesets.

Doesn't always make sense, we need the specific use cases where paths
and filesets are interchangeable.

Stefan