ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@lisa.com.au>
Subject RE: What is a 'declarative' language
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:00:56 GMT
OK, searching the archives for the keyword 'delcarative' bears out the fact that this has not
been *much* on the agenda.  However, it has been on the agenda - I distinctly remember an
expression of concern from somebody attempting to do just this, and that is what really what
raised the importance of the whole procedural vs. declarative issue in my mind.

Making the build language suitable for parallelizing task execution is a significant design
goal, IMHO.  Easy-to-understand and low-maintenance are also significant goals for the build
language.  Of these, low-maintenance is probably the more important one, assuming that build-file
editors like Antidote become more available.

I think 'not precluding distributed ant' should be on the agenda for the Ant2 discussion.

regards,
David.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> > From: David Bullock [mailto:dbullock@lisa.com.au]
> >
> > On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Tim Vernum wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to see list/set based operations. But I like them because
> > > they're a fairly clean, simple, and powerful way of supporting
> > > iteration, not because they're declarative.
> > >

> > Point taken. :-)
> >
> > The request for 'declarative' comes from people who wish to
> > attempt to parallelise execution of Ant tasks in a
> > distributed ( multi-machine / multi-OS ) fashion.
> >

> This is not the case at all. I have never heard anybody given that argument.

David Bullock
LISAsoft Project Lead
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform

 email: dbullock@lisasoft.com
mobile: +61 4 0290 1228

"The key ingredients of success are a crystal-clear goal,
a realistic attack plan to achieve that goal,
and consistent, daily action to reach that goal."

Steve Maguire, "Debugging the Development Process".

LISAsoft
http://www.lisasoft.com/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866