ant-dev mailing list archives

From John.D.Ca...@mail.sprint.com
Subject RE: Re: Feature Request: Ant batching support
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:31:06 GMT
I'm not sure if this got through last night (sent it from another email
address...), so I'll say it again to ensure coverage.

I agree that the external entity solution would definitely work, and
that it would in some ways be elegant in its simplicity, but I still
have a few reservations:

1.  You're using a build file with a target "init", and you include a
fragment that also has a target "init".  There's a problem.  While I
understand that I'm partially shooting myself in the foot (I'm the only
supporter of my project), I should ask if this doesn't seem like a
maintenance nightmare for a project in which every developer manages
the build file for his own packages?

2.  The syntax isn't exactly mainstream for Ant usage.  I hear everyone
debating whether or not to support <include> tags, and in what form,
and I think, 'If they don't like this level of ambiguity, how is the
<DOCTYPE... solution acceptable?'  In short, I think the syntax could
be better.

Ideally, Ant should support this level of modularity gracefully.
Otherwise, it's only a pseudo-modular build tool. Just like
cutting-and-pasting code from a Visual Basic template file into the
current project, it's just not what I would term "correct". IMHO.

John