ant-dev mailing list archives

From Glenn McAllister <gl...@somanetworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] abstract goals and guidelines
Date Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:55:24 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> * Provide a clear mission statement for Ant.

+1, although I'm sure some people will argue we already have one.

> * Main goals: Simplicity, Understandability, Extensibility

+1

>   Simple and understandable for the target audience - developers,
>   build-engineers ...

So that breaks into two obvious categories: code
interfaces/implementation and task syntax (xml).

> * remove magic properties if at all humanly possible

+1

> * remove as much dependency on native scripts as possible.

+1

> * clean object model (ie Project/Target/Task)

+1

> * good event model to integrate well with IDE/GUI/whatever

+1

> * use a consistent naming scheme for attributes across all tasks

+1

> * keep build file syntax as compatible to Ant1 as possible -
>   i.e. don't break something just because we can.

+1, but lets not take it too far.  Especially if we want to implement
the previous point properly.

> * keep the interface for Tasks as similar to the one of Ant1 as
>   possible - i.e. don't break something just because we can.

+0

> * Ant should be cancelable

+1

> * no commit of new features without documentation (ouch 8-)

-1.  Like other people have mentioned, I'd rather see a task with no
docs than no task at all.

> * no commit of new features without testcases

-0.  Nice idea, but it isn't always feasable.

Glenn