ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Collecting requirements for Ant2
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:04:21 GMT

Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> I think this is the more important thing we can do for ANT. The list should
> remove itself from the bussiness of judging and debating whether a task is
> worth having or not. There should be a repository where anyone and everyone
> can submit their "work of art" tasks.
>
> The only debate on the list should be whether a contribution is good enough
> and powerful enough as to make it into the official core jars or about
> changes to the core architecture.

And I think for this to be practical, Ant needs to get away from
"default.properties" that tells what the optional tasks are.
Ant should look in ANT_HOME/lib, and pick up every task there.
So, Ant could go out with "ant.jar" and "optional.jar" containing
the most 'popular' or 'useful' optional tasks in one jar.
Then, any one who has more optional tasks can just drop the
jar(s) into ANT_HOME/lib, and everything works. Doesn't
matter if the task is home grown or obtained from a repository,
it all just works together. I believe some form of 'plugin' capability
has been raised in the past, but never hurts to bring this up again.