ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISC] Ant's goals
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 15:22:18 GMT
At 04:13  29/3/01 +0200, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>>* make it possible to reuse taskengine for other things. ie
>>>  Installshield type app, Peter's cron-server and other task based
>>>  operations.
>>
>> +10000000000000000000000000000000000000
>
>So what exactly would be needed - judging from your strong support for
>it, you sure can explain it ;-)

a lot of it is covered by other points but many of the other issues I
scheduled for the design phase rather than requirements specification ;)
For most things it is just good engineering practices (particularly
separation of concerns and inversion of control). A lot of it could be seen
in my myrmidon proposal.

A simple run down would be
- separation of task API and implementation (ie servlet spec vs tomcat)
- separate task engine from project engine
- pluggable ProjectBuilders
- pluggable converters
- possible pluggable aspects (ie log-policy, classloader policy etc)
- separate loaders of tasks and task registries etc
etc.

Since we agreed to stop working on the proposals (or at least stop
commiting changes) I have continued working on myrmidon in a number of
environments. There are issues that no one has yet brough that I was going
to wait for design or impl phase to bring up ... but if you really want me
to do it I can spout a lot of buzz-word compliant mumbo-jumbo? ;)

>>>* provide support for CJAN
>>
>> +1
>
>In what way? Do you envision more than a couple of tasks?

Essentially a couple of tasks. It depends on whether alexandria/commons
picks up the ball - if they don't then I would like to at least prototype a
basic setup (maybe under jakarta-ant-cjan) and see how well everything works.

Cheers,

Pete