ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 02:30:55 GMT
At 03:17  29/3/01 +0100, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>
>> I believe that ant should default to a particular target (be it
>> main/start/begin/entry/whatever) much like http urls default
>> to port 80. If
>> you  want a different target then you should specify it on
>> the command line
>> (like you specify port 553 in url).
>>

>Why not "comence" or "comienzo" or "primo" why should it be in english?

because it is standard behaviour across a multitude of languages
(c/c++/java among others all start at main). Consider that the rest of file
(project/target) is written in english I don't really see your point?

>If you were proposing that the "default" attrribute should be optional and
>in that case consider to be "main/start/whatever" then I would see no
>problem, but saying that everyone around the world has to have a target
>called "main/...", that I do not think is reasonable.

yer - almost as unreasonable as specifying 80 as default port of http,
right? almost as unreasonable as using main() as entry point in c? hmmmm

>Removing the "default" attribute. What is so dificult about it. It is in the
>first lines of the project file. Why do you think knowing the default target
>in "main" as oppose to reading right there that the default target is
>"myMain" why would that make anything clearer for any one?

Flexability without a good reason is termed "flexibility syndrome".

Question: Do we need it?
Answer: no. We can do everything without it and minimal impact on build
file writer.

Question: Does adding it in make build file simpler?
Answer: no - it adds another variable for users and developers to be aware of

Question: So it is not needed, makes the build file more complex, What do
we call this?
Answer: flexibility syndrome

>The only way to know what the thing will do when you call ant, it to go read
>the entire file, default or no default.

Which is a failing - that I really want to address.

Cheers,

Pete