ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Another feature request??
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 01:05:03 GMT
At 10:44  29/3/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:

>> At 09:35  29/3/01 +1000, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>> >-1,
>> >
>> >Why change from an explicit declaration of the default target to
>> one based
>> >on implicit convention. You can adopt this convention without
>> changing Ant.
>> >Why force it everyone else?
>>
>> simplicity. One less complexity, one less reason for users to
>> look at build
>> file, etc
>> Cheers,
>>

>One more implicit thing to remember. One more thing not obvious from the
>build file. It is similar to the argument against an "init" target.

Well I would have to disagree ;)

Well known start state is much more easier for the user. Could you imagine
if we had to specify everything all the time?

http://someaddress.com:80/

or

http://someaddress.com/

Is the second approach harder to understand or easier?

I would say that it is obvious from the build file because all build files
would have the same start state.

As a matter of fact I would alos like to remove the name attribute of
project for it can more simply be represented by

<property name="ant.project.name" value="Foo" />

Cheers,

Pete