ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [RESULT] vote on general direction, details will be discussed later
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:47:19 GMT

> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]

> >Conor MacNeill wrote:
> >
> >> -1 without detail.
>
> Essentially it consists of possibly the following things
> * cross-buildfile dependencies
> * possibly cross-buildfile property access
> * sharing of "execution stack" (ie which tasks are already
> executed etc)
> * hierarchial scoping of properties (including const, overidable etc)
> * somethingelse????

I feel uneasy about some of these, in the general case. As someone said,
this may allow for spagetti code like builds. However, there is a particular
subset where I think it may be granted: <antcall>.

The implementation of <antcall> treats the buildfile as if it were any other
subproject. As a consequence dependencies will be reexecuted on the
<antcall>. Now some time this is exactly what you want, because you are
using <antcall> as a sort of procedure call with properties as parameter
passing. But in other cases...

Jose Alberto