ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: What is a 'declarative' language [ was Re: [VOTE] vote on general direction ...]
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2001 23:30:59 GMT
Well, I did not want to start the battle of the technicalities but I think
we need to make some things clear.

Prolog is NOT a declarative programming language. It imposes a particular
well defined procedural execution model to the programs expressed using
Horn-clauses.
Horn-clauses are a declarative way to define what you want to be solved.

Now, Horn-clauses are declarative because they do not tell you how to
execute your program, it just specifies what needs to be done, but not how.
A program written in Horn-clauses can be executed by PROLOG using the Depth
First Search order rule; or it can be executed by some other engine
implementing a Breath First Search algorithm, or its multiple choices can be
executed in parallel, or distributed over a network or whatever.

That is what declarative boils down to, freedom for the execution engine to
be implemented in whatever way it wants.

In the case of a language like ANT's, a declarative model means that as long
as the dependency restrictions are satisfied, the order in which tasks are
executed should be completely unspecified. And no construct should depend on
whether two independent tasks are executed on a particular order or not.

Usually these requirement when looked closely imply things like single
variable assignment (i.e., properties set only once) and so on. Now in
reality, I am not sure if current ANT is completely declarative, because we
assume some top to bottom relationships outside of the dependency
definitions. For example, properties get evaluated and set from top to
bottom of the file (or at least they were at some point).

You can see that there are some declarative constructs that we do not have
in ANT, although we could. For example there is no way to specify unordered
dependencies (depends="A:B:C") meaning these three targets need to be
executed but the order is not important; or to specify possible dependencies
(depends="A;B;C") meaning if any one of these three targets is successful
assume the dependencies are satisfied. They are all declarative, any the
engine could implement them in parallel or selecting randomly or whatever.

But in particular if one has ";" then one need to be able to undo work if
you tried the wrong thing. Which is all what backtracking was all about.

This is becomming too long,

good bye

Jose Alberto