ant-dev mailing list archives

From Shane_Curc...@lotus.com
Subject Re: will Xalan 2 replace jaxp.jar and parser.jar?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:47:16 GMT
While Ant is certainly welcome to distribute Xalan and an appropriate
parser with the builds, I'm not sure that's where the world's heading...
Lots of people may want to use custom parsers/processors, so you might want
to be careful about sticking specific versions in the center of Ant.

One useful submission might be lots of extra doc about using optional tasks
and different parsers/processors with Ant, if they haven't already added
doc in this area (haven't looked at the cool 1.3 lately)

Xalan currently is tested against it's checked-in version of Xerces; we
also know we work with recent versions of Crimson.  The xalan.jar that we
ship currently also includes the org.w3c.dom.*, org.xml.sax.*, and
javax.xml.* packages inside it, which can lead to interesting problems when
you've already got backlevel versions of these in your classpath.

Of course for another view of what to include in your project, check out
gump/alexandria/whatever it's called today, over at alexandria-dev or
http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/

- Shane