ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: beanshell
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:40:13 GMT
Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:

> i'm new to the list, but i have actually got some of my code in Ant
> so i'm not new to Ant by any means.

welcome back, Jon. You are even still a committer as far as I can
tell.

> Since i'm new to the list, i'm not sure what sort of discussion has
> already happened around adding BeanShell support to Ant.

None specific to BeanShell IIRC. We do have scripting support through
BSF and it should be possible to support BeanShell through this as a
scripting task. But this is not what you are heading to.

BTW, BeanShell is LGPL, right? I know you have more experience with
ASL versus GPL (WebMacro) and that you as well as Brian are in contact
with the FSF to resolve this, but it still looks as if there was
trouble ahead.

> What I would like to do is essentially use BeanShell as a
> replacement for the complex .sh/.bat files that we have to use to go
> along with execution of Ant.

Which .sh/.bat files are you referring to?

The starter scripts for Ant itself? I don't think they are doing too
much that could be done in Java, basically working on environment
variables, which BeanShell couldn't do either.

The antRun scripts? In JDK 1.3 we don't use them at all, likewise on
Windows NT/2000, MacOS and OS/2 they don't get used. I can easily
imagine modifying org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Execute to use
BeanShell instead of antRun if it present.

In general I think we should support BeanShell (like through BSF),
make use of it (like in Execute) but not rely on it, i.e. allow the
users to use Ant without installing BeanShell - the starter scripts
are not that complicated at all.

Cheers

Stefan