ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:03:42 GMT
James,

To me ANTEATER should consist of just the following:

 <project/>
 <target/>
 <taskdef/>
 <datadef/>
 <property/> //reluctantly

The core should not assume the existance of any task and every task
should be expressable with the services provided by CORE.

This means having a meaninful resolution of how magic properties work today
(i.e., "build.compiler").
It also means eliminating the magic "default.properties" files and moving
to tasklib definitions containing <taskdef> and <datadef> definitions.

<property>s I would like to just be considered as a <datadef> with no
special
capabilities, but I am not sure how "${}" expansion could be implemented.
Maybe "${}" should act on IDs and just consider property.name() as just
another
way to register an ID. With that "${x}" expansion is not more than the
toString() operation applied to the object whose ID is "x".

but I degress... The point is to give <taskdef> and <datadef> enough
expresive power such that there is no magic required for anything else.

Jose Alberto