ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib - New directory
Date Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:44:05 GMT
Hi,

At 06:22  27/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
>who isn't really fond of the idea to add jar files to the repository
>either.

You may want to have a look at a message that Stefano Mazzocchi sent to
cocoon-dev list on what it takes to be a successful free/open source
software project. Basically it crystalized into three factors;
1. low cost of entry
2. good ideas
3. bad implementation

Now have a look at the successful (meaning large active developer
community) projects at apache and other places. Which ones have larger
developer communities? Which ones end up evolving the most and being widely
adopted. Ant has probably one of the largest user communities but
relatively few developers. Mostly it is you and Connor that do development
and if you were to leave the project would effectively be stymied for a bit
(until someone else had an itch).

Compare the projects Turbine, Cocoon and BSF. When I first looked at
Turbine it was hell to setup. The second time I had a look it was much
easier (Only DB setup was painful). Last time I looked it was a breeze to
setup and strangely enough the community has grown considerably.

Cocoon1 had a relatively low cost of entry and had a large community. With
Cocoon2 the cost increased significantly and has continued to increase.
Thus the developer community around it has declined a bit recently.

BSF has a higher cost of entry and has good code - thus has only attracted
a small community so far.

Adding in required libs reduces cost of entry for developers of Ant which
means more ideas/code hackery/time is likely to be contributed. This is the
main aim of this.

Cheers,

Pete