ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:07:43 GMT
At 04:05  14/11/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Well - I am not so sure with text nodes except whitespace and
>> whitespace should be able to be ignored in build files.
>
>I don't think so. In
>
><echo>
>Something is missing, you need to
>
>        (1) install bla
>        (2) run foo
></echo>
>
>I really want to be sure whitespace gets passed to the echo
>task. Likewise for newlines in the <script> task that terminate
>statements in a scripting language. And I think your JPython scripts
>will become totally useless if you don't take care of whitespace.

Sorry - I should qualify that. Ignorable whitespace (ie the stuff ant
ignores) should be ignored as it plays no role in ant model. The above
would be caught by tasks with appendText() calls. The above example has
whitespace in it but is not a whitespace textnode if that makes any sense.
The ignorable whitespace is defined by XML spec but basically consists of
whitespace between elements in an ant build file.

<task1/>
<task2/>

ie the above is seen as two elements rather than one element + whitespace
\n + one element

Cheers,

Pete