ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:05:22 GMT
At 09:02  13/11/00 -0800, Jose  Alberto Fernandez wrote:
>> > I see no reason for the GUI being able to manipulate
>> > ANTs
>> > internal representation of the build. Is there any
>> > good reason for
>> > this?
>>
>> Editing is the primary reason. And in this discussion
>> I don't think we should think of it as an "internal
>> representation". That's what we have now. What we want
>> is an API. There are probably many other reasons
>> outside of editing that an external app may want to
>> manipulate Ant's data model (e.g. implementing
>> parallelism).
>>

>This is exactly what I think is very very wrong. Lets assume
>that you have the ability of editing ANTs internal representation
>of the project. Now that means that any validation or caching
>that ANT mades to its representation of the project it may be
>put at risk of inconsistencies because the GUI decided to edit
>something,for example, in the middle of a run (in some other thread).
>This would mean a lot of defensive coding just to protect against
>extrange manipulation of the internal representation.

But Ant needs that anyway if you want runtime interpretation which is I
think what has been decided. I don't think we should go to the extent of
thread safe implementations protected by monitors/synchronized blocks but
we do need to dynamically interpret the original form if we are to do
things like

<mytask myattr="${myVar}"/>

So it may be ugly but it is a necessary ugly unless we decide to stop
runtime interpretation again (or worse have mixed interpreation).

>BTW, one of my problem with the current API exposed by <script>
>is that is allows people to do things like this. I think that is wrong.

I agree.

Cheers,

Pete