ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Why does the echo task output to System.out? (Was: RE: [submi t] I ntegration of Ant into Visual Age for Java)
Date Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:13:48 GMT

--- Jose  Alberto Fernandez <JFernandez@viquity.com> wrote:
> > From: glennm@ca.ibm.com [mailto:glennm@ca.ibm.com]
> > I have to agree with Wolf's analysis of the situation with <echo>.  In
> > fact, I agree so much I've made the changes he's suggested
> > and commited
> > them. :-)
> >

> -1, I would have prefered to keep the logging capabilities for a
> different
> task.
> A subclass of <echo> perhaps.

One thing to consider is that for a new user deciding between <echo> and
<log> might not be obvious. Keeping the number of tasks that do similar
things to a minimum is a desireable thing IMHO. I think it is ok to provide
different attributes to the <echo> task to get different behavior rather
than different, but functionally similar tasks. Think (although I'm sure
someone out there is going to flame me for this :) ):

      echo "my message"
vs.
      echo "my message" > /var/mylog
vs.