ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Proposed Revolution: AntEater (a proposal for Ant Core 2.0)
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:20:08 GMT

--- Simeon Fitch <metasim@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Is your concern with keeping comments and such
> > inline with the tasks/targets
> > they represent?
>
> Yep. And the ability to traverse a homogeneous
> structure.

Duncan, there is another partial reason for supporting
DOM semantics that was only implied here, and that is
the GUI will obviously have to write back out the XML
code that has been edited (marshal the data
structure). The Sun JAXP api has the concept of an
XMLWriteContext, which allows you to take the DOM
structure and output it as an XML stream. I'm hoping
to get this functionality for free. ;-) If the Ant
data structure doesn' fit in with the XML DOM, then
I'll have to traverse the DOM to preserve comments and
whitespace, and separately traverse the Ant data
structures with a custom XMLOutputStream (or the like)
to save it's state.

I guess you might be able to meet the need for
preserving comments by allowing the attachment of
org.w3c.dom.Comment objects, and also org.w3c.dom.Text
objects for scripts, etc., but I feel like that might
be a slippery slope toward real DOM support.

sim

sim