ant-dev mailing list archives

From Simeon Fitch <meta...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: beanshell
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2000 02:22:31 GMT

--- Jon Stevens <jon@latchkey.com> wrote:

> Since i'm new to the list, i'm not sure what sort of
> discussion has already
> happened around adding BeanShell support to Ant. Can
> anyone catch me up real
> quick?

Ahh, the scripting question again...

I'm fairly new to the list as well, but when I first
joined it there was quite a long thread on the pros
and cons of adding scripting to Ant. BeanShell, along
with several others (JPython, JavaScript, etc.) were
discussed. The question at the time, however, was not
what scripting language, but if a scripting language
should be added. There is a strong movement to keep
Ant as simple as possible, and only as complicated as
necessary. There are strong arguments for being able
to accomplish most build requirements without a
scripting language (aside from actually launching
Ant).

Antineers, have I got this right?

So, the question is not yet whether or not to use
BeanShell, but to use any scripting language as well.
I don't have the background to make such a
determination myself, but /if/ it were decided that
one was needed, I would certainly hope that BeanShell
is seriously considered as I *really* like the the
fact that BeanShell is as close to interpreted Java as
you can get. But I must defer to the others to fill
you in where the "top dogs" are in the decision making
process on the scripting issue. It has to be part of
the long term plans for the tool.

That being said, I'm sure that the group would
appreciate proposals on how BeanShell would fit into
the Ant build model, and what its impact on
performance and usability would be.

sim

=====
Mustard Seed Software