ant-dev mailing list archives

From be...@netscape.com (Patrick Beard)
Subject Ant Questions
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2000 18:33:40 GMT
At 11:53 AM -0400 7/29/2000, rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:
>That's exactly what Ant does for you...it looks at the source files and
>only passes the ones to javac which are more recent than their
>corresponding class files.  Try it!

Ah, that works only if you have:  1 class per source file, and the
location of source files in the source tree is the same as class
files in the class tree. I was using a more shotgun approach to
building, with multiple source files in a common directory, in
potentially different packages, letting the javac compiler sort
things out. Has anybody started working on an IDE or at least a tool
that generates ant build files? Seems like a good idea.

I've written a tool that lets you glue together multiple disjoint
directory hierarchies, and jar files (it's called jlink). I want to
integrate jlink into ant potentially. The one thing I'm trying to
understand is how to hook together dependencies. If the inputs to
jlink are a directory and a text file, how can I communicate those
dependencies so that ant won't rebuild the final target?

- Patrick
--

// Patrick C. Beard
// Java Runtime Enthusiast -- "Will invoke interfaces for food."