ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Questions
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:31:26 GMT

 DV> Another quick question: have there been any thought towards
 DV> looping through a list to perform common actions.

There have been.

The general line is "don't make Ant a second make/Perl/(insert your
favorite Moloch that started well thought and became what it is by
adding features over features)".

We agree that Ant should not become a programming language whose
syntax looks like XML - quite the opposite. In your build files
explain what to do and in the tasks decide how to do it. Use as little
logic in Ant's core as possible and make the tasks as smart as they
can get.

In the particular case of loops Carlos Pita (I hope you haven't turned
away already, Carlos) has proposed something he called NestingTasks
(search in the archive if you are interested). His ideas would need a
modification of Ant's core.

I'm still not sure if I like the idea and don't know what the other
commiters think (of his proposal that is, while I think I know their
opinions on loops in general).

Oh and yes, you can have loops, just write a task to do the loop. You
can even write that task in your favorite scripting language using the
<script> task - it just might take a little research to find out
how. I know this might not be /that/ convenient.

Stefan