ant-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Saunders <mich...@amtec.com>
Subject Re: JavaCC optional taskdef
Date Fri, 28 Jul 2000 14:37:07 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> ISTR you proposed "mparse" as a task name, is this an official product
> name?

Yes, my understanding is that JavaCC was owned by Sun and apparently
given to Metamata to distribute/manage. Metamata created yet another,
more advanced version of the parser that they have named "mparse".
They have other tools as well, some for sale some for free. Metamata
has indicated that they will keep JavaCC on their web site for
distribution but that they were going to support mparse and distribute
it for free.

> I wouldn't think too much of package names right now, this could be
> resolved rather easily once/if(?) the extension mechanism for optional
> tasks gets done.

My own personal opinion is that the current JavaCC taskdef should be
renamed to mparse and moved into a metamata package and that a new
taskdef JavaCC should be created and placed in the javacc package.

> I'm willing to rename the class - and the package if needed - if it
> really causes a problem. For example if a task for the real JavaCC is
> contributed 8^).

I'll start working on the JavaCC and JJTree Taskdefs for the
javacc package.

Thanks for the reply,
Michael