ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: The Copyright dispute continues: com.oreilly....
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 09:06:49 GMT
on 7/21/00 1:41 AM, Jason Hunter at jhunter@collab.net wrote:

> The sharing of profits is something I hadn't heard before.  That's quite
> a nuisance.

Yes. And yet another reason why I personally don't like multiple copyright
holders for source code.

> I think the right thing to do is to intentionally fork.  Give copyright
> on this particular version of the code to the ASF exclusively, but keep
> copyright on the n-1 fork for my own use for Servlets.com (I revised it
> some before the Apache check-in so this should fly nicely).

Of course that's your right. :) I think that in the long term you'll get
tired of the maintenance friction and just start including the org.apache
version in your jar instead, but.. :)

The good thing is that there probably aren't a lot of changes you want to do
to your private class. Unless you really want MIME support that somebody
will probably hack in.

> Second, most of the corporations open sourcing their existing products
> these days are retaining copyright.  You need someone strong holding the
> copyright to sue license violators and copyright infringers.

Or somebody weak with few assets. That's what the ASF is in principle.

.duncan