ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: TimeStamp dependent target execution
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 19:06:48 GMT
[....]
> We could even go wild here and provide some kind of pattern matching
> to find destination files corresponding to source files and run the
> transformation only for specific file, something like
>
> <transform command="jade -t rtf -d mydocbookstyle.dsssl">
>   <src dir="documentation/docbook">
>     <include name="**/*.sgml" />
>   </src>
>   <dest dir="documentation/generated/rtf">
>     <include name="**/*.rtf" />
>   </dest>
>   <match src="*.sgml" dest="*.rtf" />
>   <!-- like Perl? <match pattern="/(.*)\.sgml/$1\.rtf/" /> -->
> </transform>
>
> which is supposed to pick up each DocBook file that is newer than the
> previously generated RTF version and run Jade to make a more recent
> version from it.
>
> The last part (pattern stuff) needs a bit of thought but the first
> implementation (transform + your obsolete semantics) seems to be
> straight forward.
>
> Comments?

I like this idea. Notice that this is a generalization of what the
javac, copy and other basic similar tasks are doing today.
Something to consider is to provide the functionality of both <java/>
and <exec> tasks. I do not know if this would require one or two
different tasks. My point being that the transform task does not
need to require the creation of a separate process as <exec/> does.

To see the value of this, how many current tasks can be expressed
by using this transform task? <javac/> is definetly one of them.
Can we rewrite those tasks as just proxy templates for this transform task?

We may be getting to the actual core for ANT with such a thing.

Jose Alberto