ant-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <russg...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Proposition
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2000 19:46:17 GMT
At 10:34 AM 7/6/00 -0700, "Vitaly Stulsky" <vitaly_stulsky@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I wish to propose some extensions for current ANT version. For our project
>is very important to keep standard code look, but every developer tries to use
>their own coding style and conventions. Now we had CVS access from ANT and
>it will be good to have some kind of source code formater (e.g. JIndent or
>something like that).
>
>Is anyone interested in such things?

Pardon me while I run screaming: AAAGH!

I feel strongly that this is a Bad Idea.  If you are having a problem with
standards, the way to fix it is through agreement on standards. Get
together and agree to follow a set of standards rather than having a tool
convert code. You don't want to clutter cvs with diffs caused as a result
of the battle of the braces, and you will find it impossible to automate
every part of your standards - naming conventions, for example. This means
that you are going to have to find a human-based solution anyway. Talk to
each other! Agree that for the good of the team, you will each give in a
bit and adopt a common way of doing things.