ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hodgetts <pa...@zzyzxtek.com>
Subject Re: javac Task Using Jikes with Large Number of Files
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 02:33:56 GMT
Ken Wood wrote:

 > I guess I'm still learning the in's and outs....
 > If Runtime.exe is the problem, how come it
 > has no trouble stuff sun's javac? I build a project
 > with 1498 source files, and it never complains...

Javac isn't invoked with Runtime.exec().  Since it is written
in Java, it is invoked by directly calling the class (that is
inside tools.jar if I'm not mistaken).  It can take a long
String in its parameters, so it doesn't run up against the
limitation of Runtime.exec().  Jikes has to be invoked with
Runtime.exec() because it is a C++ program distributed as an
.exe (on Windows at least).

-Paul