ant-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hodgetts <pa...@zzyzxtek.com>
Subject WebLogic 4.x EJB Tasks
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 16:29:28 GMT
I've been using the new WebLogic 4.x EJB tasks and I have a few
comments/questions.  These tasks are very cool and help us out a
whole lot with our builds.  Thank you!

DDCreator works great.  No issues there.

Ejbc works well, with the following comments/questions:

1.  There are some command line parameters that are not passed in.
     For example, -g -nowarn -debug can't be set.  -keepgenerated is
     hard coded as always on.  I was playing around in EjbcHelper by
     just putting them on the command line, and they seem to work
     fine.  It looks pretty straightforward to pass them through (if
     I understand the design).

2.  I was trying to add -compiler jikes to the EjbcHelper command
     line, and it didn't work.  It seemed to generate the first bean
     that it came across, but didn't continue on to any more.  I
     think it may have something to do with how it's invoked, but I
     don't understand it enough to know why and how to fix it.  The
     reason I want to use Jikes is because Jikes is twice as fast as
     the JDK compiler.  We have a lot of beans to generate, and it
     cuts 5 minutes off a full build.

3.  The task uses the -noexit parameter.  I don't see this
     documented anywhere in the WebLogic docs.  Is this a secret
     parameter?  I would guess it allows the VM to stay open, but
     I've never seen it mentioned in the WebLogic stuff before.

4.  I'm not sure how the connection is made (if it is) between the
     bean sources and the generated classes.  For example, if I have
     the user written MyClassBean.java, MyClassHome.java, etc., how
     does the Ejbc task know to regen if any of the user sources have
     changed?  My suspicion is that this is difficult/impossible in a
     generic way (without some naming conventions), so maybe I just
     have to code up something custom for our situation.

5.  It seems like the Ejbc task using javac is noticeably slower
     than when I was using the java task to fire it off (even with
     javac as the compiler both ways).  Is it invoking ejbc in a
     different way or am I just hallucinating?  ;-)

Any insights into my questions would be appreciated.  As to the
changes that I know how to do, what should I do next?  Do I make the
changes and submit them to someone, or wait for someone else to make
them, or what?  I'm new to this, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks,
-Paul Hodgetts