ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Hunter <jhun...@collab.net>
Subject Re: cvs task - BufferedReader code in Exec.java
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2000 02:00:24 GMT
> >Java doesn't do any linking at all either; it simply loads classes in at
> >runtime and then executes the desired methods, right? So why do we need to
> >reflect all the calls?
>
> Well technically all code that uses name of method or class is considered
> to be statically linked even if it is done dynamically at runtime. So it is
> not possible to use either GPL or LGPL unmodified unless you use reflection
> to grab method/class names (and even then you can only use it if LGPL).
> This is why you will find that a large properotion of the gnu.* classes are
> under a modified LGPL license.

That's one interpretation.  The license is painfully unclear in this
regard, and there's no precedent from any court case to back up any
interpretation.  You'd have to convince a judge that making hard-coded
reflection calls was somehow fundamentally different than making direct
calls.  In my opinion the LGPL isn't appropriate for Java.  The MPL has
a similar effect with stronger legal protection to the library user.

-jh-