ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: [Patch] Pedantic mode for Jikes
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:51:57 GMT
At 11:43  31/7/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Peter,
>
>I think we should keep patches to the dev list.

oops - I gotta seperate the two lists in my folder :P

>Just one issue with this patch. Do we want to expand on the use of
>build.compiler.* properties? I actually would like to get rid of them
>altogether - too implicit for me.

Yup definetly a pet hate. I have yet to think of a good way of doing it
thou. The only decent way I have heard was when someone ages ago said they
want to declare *standard* parameters in their build file.

ie property javac.pedantic would cause the attribute pedantic to be set on
javac if the javac had said attribute and it wasn't defined in build.xml
task.

so we could do things like set properties such as

javac.debug=true
javac.deprecated=true

and then anytime javac task appeared and debug or deprecated attributes
weren't set they would automatically default to debug=true and
deprecated=true.

Not sure who proposed this but it is the cleanest approach I have seen.

Cheers,

Pete